GirlVentures & #EqualPayDay

Studies have shown that giving back improves your mood (Donating Increases Happiness). DW has an event once a month called Women Wednesdays that give back to organization that benefit women, children, promotes health and encourages and supports education. I absolutely love hearing the wonderful feedback from our guests that what we are doing is appreciated and that they are happy to attend. The organizations are just as gracious as well.

For our very first event, it was Whiskey & Women, but it benefited the Breast Cancer Emergency Fund that is a block away from DW. I sat down with a couple and I was thanked for holding the event and selecting the organization of the evening. The woman was a breast cancer survivor and was able to get by with the help of the Breast Cancer Emergency Fund. The sincere look in both of their eyes made my eyes water, just as they now as I remember that moment.

I have done several Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and AIDS Walk SF. Sponsor me HERE! I have done two Warrior Dash events benefiting St. Jude's Children Hospital. I have been an San Francisco Zoo member, gave money for some celebrity to get dunked in a pool for the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation and have always pushed for selling Stella & For products that benefit autism awareness and the Holly Robinson Foundation.

Today, I have created a Team DW for the hike at Tilden Regional Park on May 7th with and befitting the girls of GirlVentures.  Their mission is to "empower adolescent girls to develop and express their strengths.

Given that today is also #EqualPayDay and we are living in a world where according the "US Census Bureau's median earning for men and women in 2014, women earn 79 cents for every dollar a man earns." (Your Most Pressing Questions About Equal Pay Day, Answered). The girls today should not have to deal with that tomorrow. Hopefully GirlVentures will give them the courage and confidence to work hard and know what they're worth.

I personally feel I have been subject to this gender wage gap. I managed a small law firm in the East Bay for seven years. When it was time to leave, a replacement was interviewed and hired and he had no experience. As I was an Executive Assistant and Office Manager taking on the responsibilities of Operations, Human Resources including payroll, I had to enroll the new Office Manager, a male. I asked my boss and the firm's Partner what his salary was. He quoted a salary significant more than what I started at seven years ago. I looked at him sideways and asked, "Really?!" I was not happy with his so-called justification and could not wait to leave even more. I have had office experience and took care of that office without him even having to ask. Once, when I presented my four-page list of everything I did for the office as Exhibit A for a raise, I did get one but was also told that the outline was 'cute.'

I hike and support GirlVentures on May 7th with anyone that will join us so we can decrease this gender wage gap. If that means going into business for yourself like I did, I am all for that! One of the greatest compliments I received recently was by a young college woman and friend that is considering starting her own business with some other women. She interviewed me and asked about the challenges of being an entrepreneur. As we said goodbye, she was thankful for my time as I am always crazy busy but she said, "I want to talk to Bernadette. She's doing it. I want that." I want to continue to motivate, encourage and support other women in making their dreams come true.

Please sponsor me and/or join Team DW in this event, support a great, local cause, do yourself some good, get some exercise in and take in the beautiful sights of the San Francisco Bay Area.



-----
This is #20 of 30 daily blog posts as recommended by a fellow blogger. Color U Bold says her views have tripled over a month due to posting everyday as step 1.  I am attempting to create more content. Thanks for following this journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May