Maui 2016 - Day 2

I alerted Papa that I was going to go for a jog in the morning. While on vacation, I knew I was going to drink and eat unhealthy, and honestly, I haven't been happy with my body lately. I recently picked up running again. The 90 minutes of cardio I was going wasn't enough to burn some fat. Jogging was a challenge until I actually did it. I ran a 5K in my second attempt since not running since October 31st last year. I got up and used my stepmom's mini side purse for my phone as I forgot my arm band in a rush. The goal to run another 5K along the water.

I turned on my JBoog Pandora station, started my Runkeeper tracker and got going. At 7:30 am, it was already warm. I should have gotten up earlier. Once I made that one turn, I saw the blue ocean and I knew I was definitely going to reach my goal. I would run as often as I could if I could run with that view. 

Going down hill was hard on my knees and I was cautious so I think it added to my time. The last time I was in Maui, I headed towards the black rocks at the Sheraton. This time I went in the opposite direction.

I passed lots of tourists, construction, Duke's, other runners, people setting up a tent for activities with sumo suits and got lost in a winding hotel parking lot looking for a beach trail access. I ended up reaching my 5K mark in a parking lot. I wish I ended on some beach somewhere but at that point, I didn't care. My legs were jelly and I was parched. I took the photo from a walkway to the beach and saw a rainbow. How perfect. My time wasn't perfect but I got it done.


I decided to stop at Duke's, sit at the bar of course and order something light. I almost got the fruit platter but i went with the organic granola, yogurt and tropical fruit. I killed that first glass of water. I sat next to a couple from Vegas that was experiencing a different kind of heat. I hope my sweatiness didn't ruin their experience sitting one seat away from me. If it had, I would have had to purchase them a glass of wine that was on tap.




My granola was decent but I wish I had gotten the fruit platter. It would have been more refreshing. I texted Papa to let him know where I was. I told him that I was going to walk back up. Like a sweet Papa Bear, he offered to come pick me up. I declined. The walk back up was hot but I did catch some Pokemon.


I got to the house with my Papa tending to his backyard. He said he was going to go to the store to pick up poke. I asked him if I could tag along after I shower. Of course he didn't decline.

Oh, the terrible tan lines!

Since I had the rental car, I drove. I told my stepmom to pray and say prayers for my father's return. I can't remember the last time I drove with him as a passenger and I forgot to pack my defibrillator.

I felt pretty confident driving around Maui.  I recognized the golf course Papa first took us to to have lunch when we arrived two years ago and I also feel confident about driving around in Kauai. I'm getting used to this! Could it be my home some day?

We went to the supermarket and I was in poke heaven. Sooo many different kinds. Papa got four half pounds of a few variations. I almost convinced him to get the octopus one. See my Greek post and obsession with octopus.





We had lunch at the house. My stepmom had rice, which I believe was at every meal, plus the poke and this pickled mango that I couldn't get enough of. My mouth is watering just as type this. They also shared a wine with me that they went to Kula for and they enjoyed. It was mixed with passion fruit and a bit too sweet for me. I was thankful for trying it but I passed it to my father.



Then it was time for Papa's nap time. I wanted to go to the beach and get in the water. I didn't want to pull him from his resting time but we all ended up going to Kaanapali beach just down the road. We packed the chairs, umbrellas and towels. We set up camp as best as we could with the wind and held on to the umbrellas. After a bit, I went into the water, followed by my Papa. It was great to just float in the beautiful, warm water but it was definitely exercise just to stay afloat. He would say that he couldn't believe he was living there but he's so happy. I'm happy for him!






After a bit of sitting out and observing why a couple's umbrella was so much more steadier than ours, we headed back and he needed to rest before our next happy hour.

We went to Whaler's Village and went to the Kaanapali Grille & Tap Room. It was another terrible view. Papa Bear apologized.




We sat outside of course, ordered a round of beers from Waikiki Brewing Company, pupus including Papa's favorite, onion rings, chicken wings with the sauce on the side, coconut shrimp and the nachos topped with kahlua pork. My favorite was the coconut shrimp. The onion rings were large and the wings were cooked well done, just the way I liked them. The nachos weren't appealing to me. I killed the shrimp though! And you wonder where my silliness comes from?






Papa Bear knew the staff. He has been served by our waiter before, told me about how the bus boy named Heinz got his name and we met the manager there named Gary. Very nice guy and he said he was going to help open a brewery in Oahu during Labor Day weekend and it was his birthday. My stepmom mentioned that I was in the industry too. I also said we will be opening up our brewery as well. He invited me to come out to Oahu! Wow. I did have an idea of going to Oahu after the new year to see what it was like. Could I live on Maui? Or do I still need a city kind of feel in Waikiki? The opportunity and invitation was there. Could I? Gary asked me to think about it and gave me his card.

A solo musician started to play as we were finishing up our meal. How nice it was to hear live island music. We said our goodbyes and Gary was so nice to come and bid us farewell with hugs. I am loving how friendly everyone is.

We walked to the shopping area so I could get new flip flops as my Reefs that I bought in Playa Del Carmen early last year were falling apart.  I also had go to the Honolulu Cookie store for Nelson. I was so impressed with the cleanliness and packaging of their products. The pineapple-shaped cookies are basically $1 a piece. I personally didn't fall in love with them but perhaps it was because I was so full. 

We walked back and it was very busy. People were still jogging, people were coming in from the beach, laying in hammocks and heading to dinner. I liked the touch of a hotel putting a bride and groom's names at the top of the hotel for all to see. This Event Planner wonders how much that cost.






We then headed home and Papa and I had a long conversation out on the deck under the stars. 

We talked about family. Lolo always comes up. We miss him and it makes me think of how much I would miss Papa when that time comes.  He asked me if I was happy and love what I'm doing. I do. Then he asks me to answer what I never voice out loud - 'Are you lonely?' I am. I have great friends and the point is, I choose who I want to spend my time with. Some people and efforts may not be reciprocated and I read those signs clearly. But I didn't want to go further into it as I didn't feel like crying on a joyous weekend. I dodged going into detail but it's really simple: I don't want to ever settle again. (I Am Single)

We transitioned a bit deeper in how he as an immigrant from the Philippines has grown to be so successful. It is really impressive. My Financial Advisor is so smart and so good with his money. He says luck and determination definitely played a part. He set goals for himself, taught himself about the stock market, options and investing as well as real estate. He has definitely taken risks and have made risky decisions to help people out but it is also because he has a huge heart.

As I get older, we both are seeing how much alike we are. I do hope I can be as successful as he is come 62 years of age. Just like this blog, I am interested in so many things. How to make my money work for me is on that list. Papa said he would help me.

Since my first visit to Maui in 2003 or 2004 with my Lola and Lolo and my cousins, I have dreamt of living in Hawaii. When I was there in August 2014, I was looking at condos as soon as I got home.  I wanted to go back. See Day 4 post to what I have decided.

He eventually fell asleep and I went inside to write my August Beer Log. Papa came
in. Then I actually fell asleep on the couch as they watched the Olympics. In the middle of the night, I got up to go to my gorgeous room. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May