A Brunch of Things to Do

I am a creature of habit. As a One Busy Bee, I need some sort of structure and organization to this craziness that is life as a Concierge, Certified Travel Agent, Travel Blogger, Wedding Planner and occasional dog walker. I mistakenly arrived eight hours early to work one Sunday morning for my normal schedule. I forgot I had requested majority of the day off for a proposed bartending opportunity in Houston, Texas. The trip obviously fell through and I was unable to fall back to sleep in my car.

Instead of be upset by my error, I went thru emails I haven't had a chance to review and was able to have brunch with a dear friend where mutual friends worked. I walked over to Union Street and went into a few shops such as Ambiance and Morning Lavender. I spent the most time in a shop called TopDrawer. It was a store for the travel lover! Get travel bags, Japanese slippers for the plane, power cord accessories, journals and fancy pens, crayons and markers. They also have meal boxes, reusable utensils and cook books, all color coordinated with you the boxes. Tempting!

I made a stop at The North Face, remembered the times at The Bus Stop bar singing Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" with some fun girlfriends and the Blue Light bar that I have been to for University of Texas games for their alumni. My dog is named Bevo after the UT mascot. Then my phone rings.

"Belga? Sure, I'll take an Uber there. See you in a bit." Not knowing that Belga was literally across the street from where I was standing, I walked into the corner restaurant, saw my friend cleaning up some tables, got a hug and plopped down, waiting for my friend. The menu had a decent amount of items and a variety of small plates, salads, egg dishes and more. The beignets and croque madame caught my eye. I've had my share of beignets and Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans is still the winner. I am still on the search for the most perfect Croque. I remember having the one at the now-closed Bon Marche at the Twitter building and it wasn't very good. I don't think I even ordered a single one in Paris it left that kind of impression on me. Looking to give the sandwich another chance, I decided on the beignets and the croque madame.

bappletree.yelp.com
Waiting, with a spicy virgin bloody mary in hand, I was pretty impressed with the decor of the restaurant. I was bright and airy, tiled floors, comfortable seating, windows that can be opened and seating outside. It was appropriate for their cuisine but their a 'Belgian-inspired brasserie.' I guess I need to make it to Belgium! I do enjoy a Belgium beer every so often. There was also a 30th-birthday brunch happening in their private room. Very cute area with a fireplace. 


Still waiting, I couldn't hold out any longer and Wes recommended the avocado toast. It came out quickly and it was delicious. I was secretly hoping a friend didn't want the second piece because it was that good. She passed and I got my wish. Orders for the salmon toast and the croque madame were ordered just as an order of beignets arrived. They looked like puffy croutons covered with sugar and cinnamon with a side of homemade whip cream. Tasty.



My croque arrived with some fries and I assumed it came with a salad. With heading off to the Carolinas shortly, I saved my calories and asked for a salad instead. My friend's dish was not what she was expecting but she enjoyed it topped with salmon roe. My croque was a tower and was pretty good. With devouring the salad first to avoid the yolk going into my salad, I cut the sandwich in half expecting a friend to take the other half. Not interested. My favorite part was the thinly sliced ham stacked between to the two thick slices of bread.


I lied, the best part was the company and the smiling faces. I met her friend, Michael, and he was hilarious. Then, a tall surprise came around the corner. It was Morgan! I have seen her in the most random places. We worked at two restaurants in San Francisco together and she's a sweet girl, now going to school to 'make that money,' saying not working and traveling doesn't pay her bills. Haha, oh, but it can! At least some of them. 

Belga was great and I look forward to trying their other items, going for happy hour and bringing Bevo, which was the first question Wes asked. One day, Puppy.

We parted ways with old and new friends and I took a different route back to the Wharf area and through Fort Mason. I went thru the old housing, passed the hostel, found a canon aimed towards the Golden Gate Bridge, down stairs which led to a homeless man's 'room' at the bottom near the aquatic park. Quite the views.




Walk along the aquatic park just below the Ghiradelli Square and sit on the stone steps to watch the swimmers. Perhaps you'll spot a sea lion popping his head up as I did. Enjoy the sounds of the small waves landing on the rocks and the sound of tourists going by.

Eight hours well spent in San Francisco.

Related links:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May