Let's Hike - Briones and Bonehead

2019 Goals, I'm comin' after you! 

One of the goals for this year is to get back to hiking once a month. This One Busy Bee and Travel Agent loves exploring new territories and getting a work out in. Then reward myself with a beer and good food, which sadly cancels out the work out. But nonetheless, it's time well spent in my opinion.

Trying to be a good granddaughter, I scheduled January's hike around taking my Lola to church. As a social butterfly like me, we were a bit late in getting out of there. Not to mention she had her walker to help her get around, which I nicknamed her skateboard. She thinks I'm silly. She is so right. After dropping her off at home in Martinez and doing a quick wardrobe change, I jumped in my car and headed to Lafayette to meet my roommate, Kim, and my Cuginos, Ron and Angela. Kim has missed doing hikes as she prepared for her Susan G. Komen walk in November and it's nice to do these hikes again with Rongela.

We immediately dove in with intentions of reaching the summit after a 3-mile hike up. What we didn't prepare for was a lot of mud the first quarter mile and a lot of up and downs. And they were pretty steep. During the so-called flat area, Angela wanted to run. This woman has done a half marathon every quarter before. I was just happy to have completed one! She was the overachiever of the day and I followed her for a little bit to get some running in. I haven't ran since the weekend before.

Yup, had to rock my Stella & Dot cap. Host a trunk show with me!



Kim and I did a training session with Irma at 24 Hour Fitness the morning before. It was Training Day apparently and Kim said she wanted to work on legs. What a silly girl. She was definitely hurting on this hike and the day after. She stayed behind with Cugino.


"Another hill?"

"How ya feelin, Kim?" That does not look like a thumbs up.


On the hike, you can see the Lafayette Reservoir in the distance, Mt. Diablo, the Shell refinery in Martinez and even Highway 4 towards Antioch. It is a dog-friendly trail and has cows roaming as well. We have hiked another trail of Briones Regional Park and the cows were not as friendly. I was a bit weary of them.




Angela sits at the top on the right. 
Due to the many ups and downs, we didn't reach the summit. We were a bit tired and Kim was hurting pretty bad. Her motivation was the BBQ we were going to enjoy afterwards. We took our pictures at our then summit and headed back down. Again with the ups and downs!





The mud was dry by the time we reached our cars and we were so ready for Bonehead's Texas BBQ. There, you will find outdoor seating, tasty ribs, nice portions, a complimentary corn bread when you check in on Yelp with honey butter and has sweet tea. What more do you need? They also had a friendly staff and funny shirts. See the photo I posted. I'd rock that. Bathrooms are outside. Find the key in the bucket near the door. They serve beer, cider and cocktails. TVs are hanging above the windows, apparently they sometimes have live music and they recycle and compost. I'm OK with that and I'd go back. I really enjoyed the ribs, the available extra BBQ sauce comes in regular and spicy, their mac n cheese is heavy and I thought their collard greens needed a touch of vinegar. We went on a Sunday and it wasn't busy at all. I recommend it as a post hike destination like we did. You deserve it!



Not nearly as bad as doing a Warrior Dash event.

The next hike will be on the peninsula on Saturday, February 23rd. If you wish to join, please let me know!


Related posts:
Let's Hike - January 2017
Hike for Girls with GirlVentures - May 7, 2016
Let's Hike 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May