More Than OK Poke + Lumpia


"You can actually cook, which is pretty rare (for women he's met)," says a 29-year-old self-taught cook. Some helpful criticism on my cordon bleu, spinach salad with strawberries and my Chopped-like dessert. Before this dinner, which was payment of a debt of losing a geography bet, I can't remember the last time I cooked. He is pretty good looking so I thought I'd do a bit more than my usual go to of a chicken in a lemon mint sauce and sauteed vegetables, I went with a 3-course meal. Go big or go home, right? I don't do anything half ass.  

My current roommate turned me onto Plated, a meal delivery service that would send you all the ingredients you may need and the recipe with clear step-by-step instructions. Majority of the meals are delicious. Want to try it out? Let me send you a free box. Emailme!

My latest success was making poke myself. This same guapo brought me back a little poke recipe book from his first trip to Hawai'i and I decided to take a stab at it. This time I got in the kitchen as a thank you to my roommate for doing so much for Bevo, my Boston Terrier, and I. For instance, I was considering taking a spontaneous trip to Mexico City with my Instafriend for July 4th weekend and asked if she would watch Bevo and I'd knock off X amount of money from her rent. She said she would do it for FREE! Que?!? Just her generosity and helping me make sure Bevo is loved and taken out to go potty in my absence, she earns it. She deserves it.


I went to the Pacific Island Market in Hayward with intentions of pick up ingredients for lumpia, which I did. But I also picked up ingredients to make poke, adobo setaw, pot stickers and cocktails. And all that for $60.


I started making the poke. I did have to look at a YouTube video on how to cut up the ahi. When in to doubt, search YouTube! As i was making it and taste testing, I got more and more excited about how it was turning out that some dances moves were made in the kitchen. Kim, my roommate, was working from home that afternoon so she got to watch all of my excitement and giddiness.

After some fluffing of the ahi, I had to take my photos of the finished product. "Can I eat now?" asks Kim. She enjoyed it and so did I! I was really proud of myself and had a good time making it.


SnapChat: bappletree
Then, I moved onto making lumpia. "How has the Filipino (in the house) never made lumpia but the white girl has?" Kim asks another valid question. To be honest, this lumpia was also as repayment for me consuming the leftovers she brought home from her July 4th festivities. I couldn't stop eating them! The chopping of the ingredients and mixing and folding took a labor of love. However, 50 shanghai lumpias were rolled and some were frozen for my best friend. They were tasty! I had them with soy sauce and vinegar and garlic, Kim had them with a mild red sweet and sour sauce.





Love lumpia?
I willing to make you 50 pieces for a $35 donation to my Team in Training fundraising goal (http://bit.ly/OrlandoBoundforLolo). Contact me! Must pick up in Hayward.


Related posts:
Maui Day 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May