HFWF18 - Keiki in the Kitchen


No kids for me but do have a furbaby, Bevo. This year’s Hawaii Food & Wine Festival got the kids aka keiki involved and I think my nieces and nephews would have a good time at this event. Hell, even I did. Located at Whaler’s Village center in Ka’anapali, tables and booths were set up with activities for kids including making leis, art projects, meet and greet with the chefs and meeting Nerdy Nummies YouTube star Rosanna Pansino. There were two sessions of her instructing kids on how to make unicorn cupcakes.




As for myself, my Bevo turned 10-years-old just before the HFWF and I decided to make him his own doggie cookies. I found an easy recipe online consisting of peanut butter, oats and bananas. All I needed was a cookie cutter. Like this One Busy Bee usually does, I got on my Amazon Prime account and looked for something cute. I found a packet of four cookie cutters including a Frenchie/Boston Terrier cutter. It was perfect! I had no idea I was going to be meeting the woman on the packaging.
After I took a photo with Pastry Chef Michelle Karr-Ueoka and Chef Bill Peet, I got in line to meet Rosanna. It was adorable to watch her with a four-some of young girls that loved her. She granted getting on their SnapChat and even took one using theirs. I pulled up the photo of the cookies I was so proud of making for my Bevo Love and showed her. She loved it! Therefore, my iPhone and Bevo is in our photo.




I thought this event was such a good idea because inspiration in children can come from when they’re young. Though my dreams of a ballerina never panned out, it’s great to see my own nephew interested in food and baking. For his 12th birthday this year and now living in North Carolina, I sent him a bunch of products like special pans, oils and other ingredients from Sur La Table and he baked his own birthday cake. When we went to Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Savannah in August, I took him to Michelin star restaurants and on a walking food tour because he has an interest in it like I do. We passed a culinary school while in Savannah and thought I should probably start saving to send him to school. Perhaps he may fall in love with other professions but I am pleased he has a great hobby now and he’s learning. Kudos to the HFWF and Rosanna for holding event to build passions and inspire.

Cheesecake by my nephew. I don't even like cheesecake but this was good!
Save the date for the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival 2019
October 5 - October 27


Related posts:
HFWF18 - Spiked!
HFWF18 - Chef Stephen Pyles
HFWF18 - Chef Rick Tramonto

HFWF18 - Keiki in the Kitchen
HFWF17 - Jennifer Ackrill of SKY Waikiki & Top of Waikiki
HFWF17 - Chef Floyd Cardoz of Paowalla
HFWF17 - Chef Chris Kajioka of Senia
HFWF17 - Hank's Haute Dogs & Chef Henry Adaniya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May