Teen dies in crash while transporting stabbing victim in Brentwood
by Rick Lemyre
Apr 28, 2012

Close friends and complete strangers gather at a memorial at Walnut Boulevard and Balfour Road in Brentwood where a 15-year old girl died early Saturday while helping transport a stabbing victim to the hospital. Photo by Art Michel

Authorities have identified a 15-year-old girl killed in a traffic accident early Saturday as Ashley Malone of Oakley. Malone died when the pickup truck she was riding in crashed on the way to the hospital while transporting a victim of a stabbing that might be gang-related, according to police.

Brentwood Police Lt. Tom Hansen said a call came in at about 12:15 a.m. Saturday reporting a fight in the vicinity of Balfour Road and Garin Parkway in which three people had been stabbed. Two of the victims transported themselves to local hospitals, while three female friends attempted to drive the third victim to the hospital in a pickup truck. While westbound on Balfour at Walnut Avenue, the truck ran a red light at Balfour Road and was broadsided by another vehicle, flipping the truck and trapping Malone underneath.

Firefighters extricated the victim from the wreckage, but she died of her injuries on the way to the hospital, according to police Chief Mark Evenson.

Police are looking for three Hispanic males in their late teens or early 20s who might be responsible for the stabbings, which were done with broken bottles. The three left the scene before police arrived.

“There’s a possibility that it was gang-related,” said Evenson. “There were some individuals (at the scene) claiming to be gang members.” About a dozen people were at the scene when police arrived, he said.

A 16-year-old Oakley girl visiting a roadside memorial at the crash scene Saturday evening said she was a close friend of Malone, and attended Prospects High School in Antioch with her. She and her friend had been at the “street party” when the stabbings occurred, but she was unacquainted with the people involved in the stabbing. She described her friend as a caring individual always willing to help someone in need, as she was doing when she died.

The occupants of the other car, a mother and her daughter, sustained significant but not life-threatening injuries and were airlifted to a hospital, Evenson said.

The three male stabbing victims were all treated and released at area hospitals. A total of seven people were transported to local hospitals in the wake of the traffic accident. The names and conditions of the other victims have not yet been released.

The investigation of the accident and stabbings is ongoing. Those with information regarding either incident should call 925-634-6911.

Correspondent Art Michel contributed to this report.


You know, I haven't had a chance to blog about my nuptials on April 19th, but this article needed to be re-posted. Another human life has been wasted that is suspected to be gang-related.

It was a long day for me but it was my neighbor's husband's birthday and she was making a special soup and there was cake! Tres Leches cake was good from Safeway, believe it or not. And her soup was delicious, as all of her food is. My husband, mother and father-in-law and I stopped by, hung out, drank wine, got to know more of their family better, as well as other neighbors. After it turned into a mini-trunk show and my husband and father-in-law went back to the house to sleep as midnight approached, I also said my good-byes. I climbed into bed and I heard cars driving on the main road at incredibly high speeds and it was soon followed by a helicopter above. I thought I moved out of Hayward! A helicopter's presence is quite rare in my neighborhood. Soon after, I heard my mother-in-law come into the house so I'm glad she wasn't involved.

These kind of occurrences can happen anywhere and at anytime. I am so happy to have moved to my new town of Brentwood and wouldn't think to blame the city for something like this. The city didn't put on this 'street party'. You do have to ask yourself "Why were these teens out so late?" "Did their parents know where they were or who they were hanging out with?" "Was this gang related?" "What can we do to prevent gangs?" People will say better parenting will prevent these occurrences. I agree. But as a non-parent, and especially not one of a teenager full of hormones and the urging desire to be accepted, I can't adequately comment. All I know is how I was as a teenager and I was no picnic. I also know that parents can't be there ALL the time. But I believe an open line of communication and trust is key.

May Ashley Malone rest in peace and her family, friends and our community always remember her and learn from this tragedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bad Girls Club & Love Games, Sarah Michaels, IS the Wellness Shot!

My Most Engaging Post Yet

It's Gonna Be May